Osteopathy: Why do we treat mother and baby as one?
For at least the first 6 months of a baby’s life we like to consider baby and mother as one person. What baby is struggling with, mummy is struggling with. What mummy is fighting, the baby could be fighting. If mummy is exhausted and ill, the baby could be exhausted and ill.
As Osteopaths we are always looking at the big picture. We will evaluate all causes of any particular complaint as well as all eventual effects. We treat the body and the person as a whole and this is especially true when treating mother and child.
The common condition:
Common conditions that people visit the osteopath for include (to name a few):
* Sore wrists and thumbs (i.e Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, De Quervain’s Tenosynovitis)
* Blocked milk ducts using ultrasound therapy
* Painful necks, shoulders and backs
* Pelvic misalignment following pregnancy
* Plantar Fasciitis following weight and positional changes
* Tight jaws (TMJ dysfunction)
* Plagiocephaly (head shape)
* Torticollis (neck torsion)
* Talipes Equinovarus (club foot)
It is common for a mother to prioritise their babies and ignore their own aches and pains.
Please ensure you’re looking after yourself as it will be incredibly important for the overall health and well being of both you and your little one.
If you have any questions relating to you or your baby’s health, don’t hesitate to get in touch.
We’d love to help.
See more articles on our Instagram page here