“Circulating blood volume decreases when the body is dehydrated and consequently the heart must work harder to pump blood to vital organs such as the liver, lungs, intestines and kidneys.”
Some of the most important reasons for staying hydrated when living in a humid climate are:
- Regulating body temperature so that vital organs don’t get damaged due to excessive heat
- Maintaining blood volume so blood circulation isn’t disturbed
- Maintaining cell structure and bodily functions such as nutrient exchange and waste elimination.
Circulating blood volume decreases when the body is dehydrated and consequently the heart must work harder to pump blood to vital organs such as the liver, lungs, intestines, and kidneys.
- Dark urine and/or decreased urine output
- Dizziness, nausea, memory loss
- Severe thirst
- Dry mouth
- Reduced skin elasticity
- Heart palpitations
You must ensure that you not only drink after exercise and daily activities but also prepare appropriately and drink plenty before heading out into the heat or before activity.
As Osteopaths we must differentiate between musculoskeletal pain and possible referred pain from vital organs or elsewhere in the body. Dehydration is always a concern for us and should be for you too!
Make an appointment here
Call Us at The Osteopathic Centre on 6221 4064
See more articles on our Instagram page here
Download article in a printable format here